11 Top Tips for Lumiere 2011
The Artichoke team had lots of fun in 2009 but also learned some lessons and had some close calls with soggy socks and forgotten brollies, so we thought we'd share our top tips to help you make the most of LUMIERE 2011. We've made a little the video to show you what me mean and have added some further info below.http://vimeo.com/29839259
Error with embedding the source
oohembed source: http://api.embed.ly/1/oembed?wmode=opaque&key=608a7a72cfcb11e0a35d4040d3dc5c07&maxwidth=600&url=http%3a%2f%2fvimeo.com%2f29839259
- Explore the UNESCO World Heritage Site - you can't come to Durham without seeing the cathedral that Bill Bryson called 'the best on Planet Earth.' Make sure you have a look at the castle too. You can find out more about both of these in Things to do.
- Looking for somewhere to stay or somewhere to eat during the festival? Check out the LUMIERE special offers.
- Dress appropriately. Bring wellies, waterproofs and thermal undies. Really, we can't say this enough. We'll be wearing ours…
- Beat the crowds: we expect Thursday and Sunday evenings to be less busy than Friday and Saturday, and come early or late in the evening rather than between 6 and 8.30pm!
- Remember to switch off at home. Turning off your lights saves you money as well as saving energy.
- When you're navigating your way around the festival, use our special mobile version of the website which will be launched soon. It's help you find where you are, where to go next, as well as giving you all the information on each installation in the palm of your hand. We'll let you know when it's ready to use.
- Leave your pets at home.The streets will be extremely busy during the festival. They won't appreciate the art, no matter how cultured they are.
- LUMIERE isn't just happening in the evening. Visit the Reading Room to take a peek at the books and films that inspired our artists, or join the conversation about what should be considered art at one of our talks. We'll be announcing more about these soon.
- Share your experience with us and with the world. We love to see how you enjoyed the festival and who with. Upload your pictures to flickr tagging them lumieredurham2011 and upload your videos to Vimeo or YouTube.
- Ask a question. Our team of local, bright and brilliant volunteers will be on hand to tell you more about the artworks, where to shelter from the rain or where to buy the best donuts.
- Tell us what you think. There are lots of ways to give us your feedback: comment on our website; take our survey during the festival; or send us a postcard, it will make a change from stationery catalogues!
If you came to LUMIERE in 2009 and have some top tips, tell us about them.
We hope you find this useful!
Anna, Hannah, Ma-ayan, Phil & Susie